Monday, January 5, 2009

Why They Make The Cut.

Last post I linked to the Elite in Business Week's Customer Service list. Listed were 50 companies that were voted to be the best at customer service. I wanted to know why. What makes these company's customer service program unique, different, exceptional, above the others?


Starting at the top of the list is USAA. Hard to believe an insurance company made the top of the list but here is why. USAA empowers it's people to make judgement decisions at the lowest level. Now most insurance companies avoid this because they feel the lowest level employees may give away the bank. USAA found that by giving employees a stake in the business they were cautious with the money, but also cared about how customers perceived them.


Also at the top is L.L. Bean. If you have ever ordered anything from this catalog and called their 800 number, you know why this company is at the top. Every time you call you can ask any question about any product and the customer service rep knows the answer. I tested this by calling and asking what I thought were unique questions. "On item # 21987 are the buttons black or brown? It is hard to tell from the picture, " and I asked, "On item #21399 what are the washing instructions?" Both questions were answered quickly and correctly. Making a return is just as easy, with no issues.


Starbucks is still at the top and you know why. I worked for Starbucks and "got it." I understand why people pay $5 for a cup of coffee that is average at best. They pay for the experience. I always said your local Starbucks is the local bar without the drunks. It's the Cheers mentality, "where everybody knows your name..."


If all businesses could take a little from each of these top companies, I would be out of a job. Legendary customer service is about the experience the customer has each and every time they visit or call. Beginning to End. The experience is either great or it's not. In today's economy if it is not great then it isn't memorable. If it isn't memorable I won't remember as a customer why I want to come back. Legendary customer service is about creating that great memorable experience for the customer each and every time they visit.


It is in the details. Each of the companies on this list get the details right. Small things matter. I was at Nordstrom last week and of course bought too many pairs of shoes. Not only did they carry my packages out to my car, but the valet was changing my tire, since he noticed "it was almost flat." He didn't say, "Mame you need to call roadside assistance for that tire." He just took care of it. He did tell me he saw a nail in it and recommended a nearby tire store that could repair it. He even called them and they had a stall ready for me to pull right into. Not only did he provide Legendary Customer Service, the Nordstrom employee had me go back inside, while he finished changing the tire, to the cafe and bought my cup of coffee. Again two employees working together to create the great experience. Instead of having a bad day due to a flat tire, I had a great experience shopping for shoes at Nordstrom. I also learned of a great tire place that also provides the exceptional customer service. How great to align your business with others who are like minded.


Ask yourself today, "Am I providing memorable customer service?"

No comments:

Post a Comment